Sunday, March 13, 2016

Spring Ahead


Today is the day that you wake up at 7:00 and think " Oh no! It's really 8:00 ."  It will take me a few days to acclimate to the new time.  I'll be hungry before lunch and hungry before dinner.   I would be wide awake at bedtime, but this was a beautiful day and Ed and I both made much of it in the garden.  I just had to clean up the bed where these beautiful Dutch Iris are blooming.  They deserve it.  Most years they peek out of snow but not this year.  I know spring is on the way when these hardy flowers make their appearance.  Rain is in the forecast for the next several days.  Cool wet days will extend the bloom time of these early jewels.


Snow drops have pushed their way through Ed's  layer of mulch.  Finally they are blooming too!


Ed spent the morning cleaning up his daylily bed.  I worked on the Black-eyed Susan bed in the foreground.  It was sunny and comfortable.  It was nice to spend some time working in the same area of the garden.  Later Ed headed off on his own.  I  was focused on cutting back the lavender bee balm.  The dead stems were tall this year.  I didn't have a lot of trouble cutting the stems, but it never ceases to amaze me how those round seed heads can catch on everything.

By lunchtime we were both hungry and tired.  Ed wanted to go right back outside after lunch, but I needed a little rest.  After a short nap, we headed back outside for the afternoon.  It is important to enjoy wonderful days in March.  Sometimes they are rare.


The bed in front of the house was chosen for our afternoon fun.  Ed worked here close to the curved stone walls.  I worked in front of the house.  Several hours went by, but it is early in the season .  We were both getting tired and a little sore.  When we came back inside we discovered that it was time for dinner.  When I look out the living room window the progress we are making on this year's garden makes me very happy.  We have rain in the forecast.  I think for the gardeners here and the plants in the garden that might make for another perfect day!

No comments: