Thursday, March 24, 2016

Ladybug, Ladybug This Is Your Home


This is Amy's amaryllis.  Most people keep amaryllis for just one year.  I'm way too cheap  thrifty for that.  In 2110 this one flowered late in May. I think it will be earlier this year.  I have been told that plants with scale should be disposed of immediately.  If you have never seen scale, they are the five brown spots on the leaf in the picture.  Think leeches for plants.  However, we have ladybugs in the house.  I took this picture yesterday.


Today the ladybug is still there.  If you check the scale you will see that they have had the juice sucked right out of them.  The residue  wiped right off the leaf.  Hope the ladybug sticks around to finish off any new ones that hatch.  Amy's amaryllis gets to stay!  I think this will be its seventh summer.

1 comment:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

I do the same thing with my Meyer Lemon tree! It works! It's actually fun to watch the Lady Beetles move up and down the branches and in and out of the leaves. I can't even find any scale insects on the tree now. Plus, I they seem to eat whiteflies, too. And I know they eat aphids. I don't mind having a few Lady Beetles in the house: I just put them on my plants! :)