Thursday, April 16, 2015

Fast Forward To Spring.


Now the spring flowers are coming fast. Usually I watch these Giant Glory of the Snow come up surrounded by white.  Frost in the morning gives way to temperatures in the high sixties.


My Dutch iris are beautiful, but are usually past before the crocuses bloom.


The snow drops have more competition for pollinators.  The peepers are peeping. The birds are singing.  All of a sudden there are beds to clean, plants to trim, weeds to pull, seeds to plant
and the grass is beginning to grow.  I found a fresh robin's egg shell in the flower bed down by the road.  New life is quickly emerging everywhere.  After all that waiting, we are suddenly falling behind.  I'm a little sore and tired, but I'm as twitterpated as the birds.  The fresh air and sunshine is exhilarating.  Only the stench from the fields of fermented cow manure dampens my spirits and that's just until the wind changes or it is plowed under.

2 comments:

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

I know--when spring happens, the garden work begins! But it's a pleasurable kind of work...and a good workout! I was just thinking about planting some Glory of the Snow. I think I will plant some this fall. Do they naturalize pretty easily?

Ed said...

Yes, if you don't live where there are a lot of bulb eating furry critters.