Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The End Of August In The Garden



All summer the hollyhock flowers have been climbing toward the sky. They work their way up the stalk, leaving ripening seeds as they go. The hummingbird still visits these flowers, but I think it's safe to say they are the last hollyhock flowers for this year.



I had to get a picture of this Rudebeckia triloba with its perfectly matching bug. I'm not familiar with the bug but I assume he is always yellow and brown. He certainly looks perfect here. Rudebeckia triloba puts on a fabulous display this time of year. It almost makes me forget what a prolific self seeder it is. This spring I was thinking of removing it from the garden completely. I weeded out many plants, but I didn't get them all. Now the way they glow in the evening light makes me rethink my postion. One thing sure I will cut them back this year to try to keep them down to reasonable numbers.

1 comment:

wiseacre said...

That's an Ambush bug - Phymata (something or other). Look closely at your mints, I found some today on my spearmint. Goldenrod seems to be their favorite hangout.

use the link on my user name if you want a closer look at these nasty looking predators.