Sunday, August 8, 2010

Closed Gentian Plays Hard to Get



I love my closed gentian plant. The way the pollinators have to force their way into the flowers is amazing to me. When I purchased this plant, I got two plants in my pot. The white one which is blooming now and purple seen in the background. The purple always blooms later than the white. Its leaves are a slightly darker green.

Up until now I have been unwilling to try to divide these two plants. I have promised myself , however that come spring I will ask Ed to divide these plants. They each deserve a place of their own. If the worst should happen and they don't make it, I will replace them. Watching the bumblebees struggle to get inside those flowers like a lady putting on a too tight girdle, it too big a treat to miss!

1 comment:

wiseacre said...

I better get looking for the wild ones. Lucky me I had some move into a semi-wet area along the property line last year.

You should try to see me get into my old jeans :)