Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wall Stone Gathering, My Way



Whenever Ed is working on a stone project, he always needs more wall stones. Stones are our most prolific crop here. This time he decided to get his stones from the fence line along the very back edge of the property. This required a rather exciting drive up the steep part of the lane. Completely shaded, the lane was still frozen, but almost free of snow. With 4 wheel drive we made it with no problem, my white knuckles notwithstanding. Ed began loading wall stones into the back of the truck.

I had the camera so I wandered around a bit to see what I could find. The buds on the red maple trees are getting fat. A little more warm weather and they will be open.



I spied this fungus growing on a dead hemlock just a little distance into the woods. I carefully made my way close enough to get a picture. I have no idea what kind it is, but I was certainly intrigued by its dark red color and shiny appearance. It is my habit to leave mushrooms and other fungi alone so I didn't touch it. I don't know if it is hard or soft.



As is frequently the case when on a stone gathering expedition, I found a stone that I just had to take back to the garden. In no way is this one a wall stone, but I was simply fascinated with the plant growing out of this rock. I'll find a place to put this stone where it can be seen. What's one more pet rock. They are so easy to take care of!

6 comments:

Kyna said...

I find fungi fascinting. That one was pretty cool!

Glad you came back from your rock adventure with something you liked :D

wiseacre said...

The mystery mushroom looks like an old Hemlock Varnish Shelf - Ganoderma tsugae.

Got to love those little Rangers - they know how to carry a load.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Neat fungus picture and I love the rock you are taking back to your gardens.

FlowerLady

Christine B. said...

What luck you have: being able to collect such fascinating rocks on your own property. I have to hunt them down like animals!

Christine in Alaska

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

that last rock is very cool...

Stone Art's Blog said...

Ah a good old fashioned stone expedition, cant beat it!