Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pelargonium Playtime



Outside the snow is falling on my sleeping garden. Looking at garden catalogs is fun, but I need some real plant contact. Time to play with my scented geraniums. Yesterday I removed all the less than perfect leaves from my rose geranium. I was rewarded for my efforts with a delicious aroma that filled the house. It was much more intense than the brief whiff you get when you give the plant water or brush against its leaves. This year Ed took cuttings so this plant is spending its first winter in the house. It's getting pretty tall and needs to be cut back so that it can bush out a bit. The top of the plant is pretty, even looking at the underside of the leaves. All of the leaves on this plant face the sunlight. I must try to remember to rotate the pot a little each time I water.




When I lop off the top of this plant it will be about half its height. I'm a rather reluctant pruner. I don't know that I will ever be a ruthless pruner, and I'm not sure I want to be. I've heard that practice makes perfect so I'm going to practice on "Rose". I know perfect lies somewhere between where I am and ruthless. I need to start in that direction. I'll put the top in a vase where a cut rose belongs.

No comments: