Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Pet Pelargoniums



It didn't take long for the white world outside in the garden to make me turn to the solace of my indoor pet plants.  These are my scented geraniums.  One of them is a peppermint purchased some years ago at Caprilands.  The other two are rose and I no longer remember exactly where they came from.  This year Ed took cuttings and we brought in beautiful compact plants.  The big woody plants were composted.  Today I spent some time working on these plants.  I pulled any weeds, removed any less than perfect leaves, loosened the surface of the dirt and watered.   The fragrance exuded when they are watered or brushed against make them a fabulous pet plant.  They respond to attention whenever they get it.  The peppermint's leaves not only release their scent, they are as soft and fuzzy as a new puppy.   Fondling its leaves is extremely satisfying.





The rose geraniums are growing quite rapidly.   I have to start thinking about taking the top out of the plants to make them more bushy.  I considered it, but I decided to leave that for another day.  I returned the plants to their spot turning them so their best side faces the room.  They will of course turn and face the light streaming in the south facing window.  That's fine because I'll be back.  Even pet plants need their attention, and I need their fragrant response to my touch.

1 comment:

Daphne Gould said...

I used to have scented geraniums. I loved them so much. Sadly they died while I was away on vacation one year.