Friday, March 13, 2009

It's March! Play It Cool!

Most of the snow is gone. It's chilly now having warmed up from cold overnight. One can't help but notice the increase in bird noise and activity. Geese , robins, starlings all represent signs of spring. A walk around the garden is more interesting now. The "garden skyscraper" hollyhock has growth at its base. It might make a comeback!

Some of the early spring bulbs are coming up, but the chilly weather has slowed their growth. I try to pay attention and heed my plants advice where the garden is concerned. I know even though I am itching to get to work in the garden, cutting back plants when the snow drops are hanging back is a bad idea. For the time being my perennials are on their own. This is the time of year here when plants that look like they have made it through the winter get zapped sometimes. I don't want to push it.

This is a New England aster. It's new growth looks so great and being a native it should know when to sprout. I take comfort from that. But I'm playing it cool! The early bird catches the worm, but not if the ground is still frozen!

2 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Becky .. same here too girl ! e have sunshine for the weekend .. but those cold temps are not finished with us yet .. slowly but surely girl ! : )

buedamau said...

what a change! if it wasn't the background snow i would think that summer is already arriving at your rock-wall garden...