Sunday, January 25, 2009

Snow Tracks

These very interesting marks in the snow are near the base of the compost pile. Many different types of marks are evident here, but it's the mark that looks like it was made by a bird's wing that fuels my imagination.

We have a pair of Great Horned owls that we sometimes see, and more often hear. I don't know if the print in the snow was made by an owl's wing. Still, it is very easy to imagine an owl silently gliding down to softly land in the snow and then fly away with its brown furry prize. The owls are beginning their nesting now. The complete lack of marks of a struggle, fur,or blood in the snow would seem to indicate that the unsuspecting prey was swept away. Perhaps it's fate was to be a catered breakfast for a nesting mother.

Of course I could be completely wrong. The marks could be something else entirely. They could be anything... the Statue of Liberty maybe! One thing sure there was a lot going on in the snow while we were sleeping!

2 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

It does look a little like that doesn't it. We have a red tailed hawk that lives near here. In past years I've found sign of him in my garden - another bird's feathers everywhere. I would rather he eat my voles.

Anonymous said...

That pattern in the snow IS utterly fascinating! You must be very in touch w/ your environment to think first of the owl. I LOVE owls. I would not have known what to think, quite honestly, had I found that in the snow. Not that we HAVE snow. :)