Monday, January 26, 2009

Look It's A Weed

Too cheap or stubborn to buy sterilized potting soil,we mix our own. That of course means I get weeds in my pots. This particular weed is a bedstraw. In the summer the meadows around our mowed area have huge patches of it. The farmer who worked this land planted it to improve the meadow based on information from Cornell. It's lovely in the meadow, but not so welcome in the garden or in my potted plants.

It's odd perhaps that I haven't yanked out this particular weed yet. I guess I'm saving it for a day when I feel compelled to play in the dirt. It's almost big enough now to be really satisfying to pull. Soon...I'll pull it soon!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I know what you mean about those really satisfying pulls! Especially those tap-rooted weeds. Gotcha! Got lots of them waiting for me out in the garden right now.

Jared said...

Bedstraw in a daylily bed: nightmare, because it gets all wound around the fleshy roots, and I can never get it all. Argh! However, in your pot, that one stem? Lovely.

I have a scented geranium that has some crabgrass growing with it in the pot, and I can't bring myself to pull it out. Delight in disorder, I guess.