Monday, January 26, 2009

Is There A Tree Surgeon In The House?

I knew it was coming. Stefan was reaching for the light and becoming more and more off balance. It was getting to be a limbo contest to get under him to go down the stairs. Then cracks began to appear on his lower trunks. The pot toppled over at the least provocation. It was time! Ed went out to the shed and brought in the loppers. I held Stefan's trunk not once, but twice so that Ed could cut it off. You can see the results.

I saved several lengths of trunk and put them in water. Who knows? They might sprout. The other remains are out on top of the frigid compost pile. Stefan pulled through this kind of operation once before. All we can do now is water, watch, wait and hope. I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Hope he pulls through

Anonymous said...

Hi. You just never know. Sometimes plants like a good haircut. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, from one source or another.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Good Morning, it doesn't look too good, but with hope and strong faith...you never now.

Have a great week/ Tyra

Anonymous said...

It looks like he's thrown his arms up in defeat in that top photo. :) I hope he recovers.

Gail said...

He looks like he's reaching upward in sureender...good luck! gail

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Give him about a month to put out new roots. I had one that I tried to root and it took about 4 weeks. Love your photo at the top of your page.
Janet

Anonymous said...

What kind of Dracaena is he?

Becky said...

I'm afraid I don't know. You can see Stefan "before" in a November 23, 2008 post, "Meet Stefan". He had dark green leaves with reddish edges.

Anonymous said...

being a professional tree surgeon I have to say that I'd be leaving aside the ropes and chainsaw to come to this job!