Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How Do I Love Onions, Let Me Count...

First are chives. I use regular chives for a mild onion flavor and the blossoms in salads . I have circle chives too, but I've never tried eating those. They are just too pretty.

Second are Egyptian walking onions. I use those instead of scallions. Both of these are now out of reach in the frozen garden.

Third are shallots. These have a mild onion flavor too ,and are my choice for winter use where mild uncooked onion flavor is called for. Some of the shallot crop is saved for seed. The seed braids hang in the background. The seed braids have a tag at the bottom that reads SEED. The seed braids are hung as high as possible hopefully beyond each reach of the cook. This has to do with past experience . No need to go there again.

Fourth are potato onions. The braid in the foreground of the photo is potato onions. They are great for cooking. Both shallots and potato onions are bunching onions. You plant one onion and get a bunch. Once purchased the same stock can be carried over from year to year. The saved seed onions and shallots will be planted in the garden very early in the spring.

Some gardeners might stop there, but not me. I said I love onions ! Onion plants get ordered in January. Wait that's NOW! Gotta go!

4 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

Someday you'll have to show me how to braid those onions. I'm hoping to have some to braid this summer, but I've never done it before.

Michelle said...

Oh yeah! Just about any allium, except elephant garlic... I don't do elephant garlic.

Anonymous said...

What kinds of onions do you get? and I'm thinking they are from seed? I'm planning to grow lots of onions this year, somehow I never seem to have enough!

Becky said...

I totally agree about Elephant garlic. Size isn't everything. The taste is gross!