Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bay Laurel , Herb of the Year


My Richter's catalog finally came. Besides being a catalog it is a great reference on herbs. I have a passion for herbs, having cooled down from a true obsession. I don't feel like I have to collect every herb on the planet any more, but I still love them. Laurus Nobilis is the herb for 2009. Isn't that just about the classiest Latin name ever? I suppose that has to do with the laurel wreath thing. I used to use dried bay leaves in cooking thinking that they didn't add much flavor, if any. Once I obtained my first bay plant and used the fresh leaves that all changed. You would not believe the difference. The leaves still need to be removed before serving They are quite stiff and I have read dangerous to swallow.

Bays are a bit fussy about chills. They are the first pots to come in in the fall and the last to go out in the spring. They can up and die on you with just a chill let alone a frost. Their other common problem is scale. Many's the time I've scraped the disgusting little things off the underside of the leaves and painted the plant with insecticidal soap. The past couple of years that has not been a problem. This plant is truly worth it all, if you ever use bay in cooking. Yes, I have two. They stay in their pots and sit on either side of the stone patio when they have their time in the garden.

3 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I really need a bay laurel. I love bay leaves. Even the dried ones. Their scent is heavenly. And with a name like Daphne I really ought to own one. I just haven't been into keeping house plants alive. I tend my outdoor plants daily and ignore the indoor ones. Only my unkillable aloe plant still survives.

claudina said...

that beautiful photos from Argentina and we congratulate you slaudo

Alberto Bryant IV said...

I really like the picture you have at the top of your blog!
I really want to put a small plant on my kitchen table which sits in front of the window.
can you make a recommendation?
I was thinking maybe the peppermint geraninum.