Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's a Good Sign



One might wonder how scat on top of a stone wall can be a good sign. For me it is! I have an interesting book called "Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks & Sign" by Paul Rezendes.It's very helpful for the garden detective in the winter.

This sign says that the foxes are back. The berries and the placement of this scat are a giveaway. Odor and size are clues as well, but I don't get close enough to measure or compare scents where scat is concerned. The fox likes to leave his little present up at nose level to mark his territory. In the past we have had gray foxes here, but they could be red. It all comes down to white or black on the tip of their tail. I can't wait to see them! Rabbits, squirrels , voles, and field mice beware! You are on the menu. I'm sure you'll be delicious after eating my lovely garden plants!

5 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

I find seen signs from the foxes now for about a month and I do like to have them close. We have seen a few as well and they look healthy. Tyra

Susan Tomlinson said...

I love scat, too! One of my favorite books is "Tracks and Scat of the Desert Southwest" by James Halfpenny. There is another field guide that examines just the holes that you find in the desert, and who might be making/using them--can't remember the author of that one, however. I always tell my students that you can tell as much or more from scat and holes as you can from a footprint (which can sometimes be hard to find in the desert...).

Anonymous said...

That's a rather happy relationship, the foxes and the squirrels. (I have a squirrel story to tell myself when I get around to it, but let's just say they're not on my Favorite Critter list right now.) :)

Ottawa Gardener said...

Ha ha. Yes, delish! We are urban so there are few rodent predators around but lots of rodents (not too many foxes in Ottawa though I remember them fondly when I lived in the urban UK).

tina said...

That is good news! I hope they cut down on your rodent population. A real problem here, but we have many foxes in the area for some reason. Coyotes too. Hmmm, wonder why we have so many rodents still?:)