Saturday, November 8, 2008

Garden Tribbles?



Forgive the Star Trek reference, but these clove pinks are so cute and round and fuzzy looking, I just couldn't resist. I love Dianthus even though they usually make you wait to see flowers until the year after you buy them. The cage you see around the plant is to discourage the deer who find the fragrant plant yummy.

Now to the trouble with my Tribbles. I went to the garden to find my stone label that identifies this plant. I'm afraid this time there was no stone. The stone in the picture is for the mahogany Monarda next door. This plant is a clove pink, but it could be 'Pheasants Eye' or ' Old Vermont'. I won't know until next year when I see the flowers. My permanent marker on flat stones system works great, when I do it. It's a habit that needs some cultivation.

The plan is to write the name of the plant on a flat stone with a permanent marker.If I received the plant from a friend, I add that name too. Next turn the stone over and repeat the process on the other side. Place the stone next to the plant and you are done. The sun does fade permanent marker so if you write the information on both sides, you can just turn the stone over and your label is still there. It's really a perfect system. It's easy, it's cheap and it works IF YOU DO IT!

4 comments:

garden girl said...

When I was a kid I had nightmares about tribbles!

Zoƫ said...

Long time since anyone mentioned Tribbles - I have one in my desk draw that vibrates when I pull a cord, silly but always makes me giggle.

I like the stone marker idea, far less obtrusive than plastic labels or tags, which for some reason even when I do hide them from view, seem to disappear anyway. I think the magpies steal them!

Clove Pinks are one of my favourites too, and when combined with old roses, are divine.

tina said...

I am thinking of doing this too. Sounds like a plan and what a sweet form on the plant.

themanicgardener said...

Ah those perfect systems... I love the tribble ref--it fits perfectly!
--Kate