Friday, September 12, 2008

Buckwheat Bedcovers

Preparations are underway for next year's garden. Three stages of buckwheat are visible here. Peas grew in the near bed this year. The peas were followed by buckwheat. When row composting has done its job, this bed will be prepared for Fall planted garlic. The second and third beds grew garlic this year. Here the buckwheat got a later start. These beds will be planted with potatoes next year. The composted remains of the buckwheat will be turned under before freeze up.

The positive effects of the buckwheat are a mystery to me. These beds will be practically weed free next year. How does this happen? Then there is the green manure issue. Since the plant grew from this soil, how can its decomposition result in a net nutrient gain? All that I added was the seed.

Then there are the bees. These flowers are clearly out of season. They are covered with bees of several kinds. I have to work among the bees to pull the plants. No stings yet! The bees just continue to work the flowers that I place on the ground. This is something like teaching eighth graders. A calm confident manner alarms no one. I do my work. They do their work. I swat at nothing buzzing around my head. I don't bother the bees either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing about green manure is that plants get their mass mostly from carbon dioxide from the air. I can't explain the weed-free, effect, though. I have yet to try green manure...it's on my to-do list for sometime in the next few years.