Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lawn Chrysanthemums


I just came in from cutting the flowers off the lawn chrysanthemums. When the grass gets to a certain length they have to go. Yes, I know they probably look exactly like dandelions to you, and so they are.

Most of the world is divided into two camps on the issue of lawn chrysanthemums.


There are those who like them. Children frequently bring mom a beautiful yellow bouquet with a big smile on their face. They love to blow on the seed heads to watch the seeds fly. Adults gather the flowers to make wine and eat the leaves for spring greens. Others get their cameras to take photos of honey bees on the bright yellow flowers. Honey bees rely on these bright spring flowers for nectar and pollen. I'm on the bee's side, they are having a hard time surviving as it is, but I admit I dig them out of the garden, and as I said the lawn gets mowed.


There are those who hate them, and will go to any length to get rid of them. They want green lawns and will use chemical weapons . Those airborne seeds are looked upon like they were enemy aircraft on the attack.

So it's the Hatfield's and the McCoys. I guess the two groups will have to agree to disagree.

No comments: